Friday, June 26, 2009

It's Lonely At The Top

I wonder how much I would want instant success, wealth, fame, or anything else that fell into that category. We all say it from time to time. 'If only I could win the lotto.' Well I don't know about that anymore. *I would find a financial advisor for sure if it ever did happen*

I look at people in the media who supposedly 'have it all' and look where it gets them. There are few and far between who have handled their fame and done it justice. Just because you are a super-star does not mean you want the lime light. Yes you should do a red carpet now and the, but that doe snot mean I want cameras following me into the local deli to see what kind of mustard I use on my pastrami sandwich.

But there are a few who seem to thrive on it (the spotlight that is) and then when it becomes to much they back away, giving more credence to their being an enigma. Well as my mother use to say, 'Don't dance if you can't pay the fiddler.' And you know what, she is right.

Why even pick a career that is its main objective to put you in the spot light but then turn your back on it. Don't get me wrong I know people are entitled to their privacy and I will be the first to admit that I like mine, here in Average Joe land. My sister is a perfect example. She has people in her home all-the-time. I don't know about you but I like a quite night at home with a movie and a bowl of popcorn.

But these super stars, what are they to do? Soak up the lime light? Live in it and then cringe every time someone decides they want to have their baby, or write letters every single day. I bet the list is extensive as to what these people go through. But when do they draw the line? How many festivities do they attend per year? If any. Only thee Oscars, or should we throw in the Grammy's. And do we have the right, as the people who got them there, to want to see them outside their profession.

I don't particularly need to see Farrah or Michael at some Red Carpet so some schlep can tear apart what they wear. they are movie stars...who cares?

I genuinely feel for those who have reached the top only to be brought down, snuffed out to early. Here are just but a few who have Gone Too Soon:

Elvis Presley
Judy Garland
Michael Jackson
River Phoenix
John Ritter
Brandon Lee
Bruce Lee
Heath Ledger
James Dean
John Belushi
Bob Marley
Jimi Hendrix
Kurt Cobain
Janis Joplin
Andy Kaufman
Princess Diana
Freddy Mercury
Freddy Prince
Bernie Mac

The list is endless. And they they leave us is just as diverse. Those who had not finished what there were put here to do. So when you feet hit the floor every morning, be grateful they did.