Thursday, May 7, 2009

His Logic Is Flawed

OK, so my son gives me $40 a week to contribute to the household expenses, and trust me, he is getting off easy. He does not drive so his father and I have to cart him everywhere. and he just waits for our schedule to mesh with his. No problems.

So today I picked him up from work, he went to the bank to make a deposit and then I had to go for a drug test as a new employee. I knew it would only take a few minutes and we would be home lickity split. So right on cue he hands me the $40 and as we leave the medical lab, he gently reminds me that I wanted to put gas in the van before we scoot down to Miami in the morning.

I inform him to to go in the gas station and tell them the full $40 on pump #7. He comes out and the van does not take thee entire $40. So, he goes back in to retrieve his/my change. He comes out with a $10 bill and he gets in the car, buckles up and begins to put the $10 away. I say, "Hey, that is my change." Strange look clouds my sons face.

"No ti's not, this is mine, I gave you $40 and the rest is mine."

"Uh, no it's not son, you give me $40 every week and I never give you the change, that is what you pay me no matter what I spend it on. Sometimes it is food, gas, or whatever, but the total $40 is always mine. When I pay for produce and the bill is on $30, do I give you the change?" Thoughts rolling through his brain.

"No."

"Then there is no difference, it's just this time it is for gas and thee other times it is not."

"Whatever you say." Still a total blank look on his face.**

**For those of you who may not know, my son is a high functioning autistic young man. So many things that your average person picks up easily, takes him longer or sometimes not within his grasp...like the $40 issue!

No comments: