Monday, April 20, 2009

Columbine Revisited

I will never forget as I was growing up and I would hear senior citizens talk about where they were the day JFK had been shot, or the day Pearl Harbor was bombed and the likes. I never got it, until...I went through a few things, such as the Challenger explosion, or the Columbia explosion, Hurricane Katrina, and lest we forget 911. Those days will be burned into my brain forever. Now I know how those people I listened to all those years ago could remember such things.

Those are the things that impact your life, for whatever reason. Maybe it was just thee incident itself, or maybe you had a connection to that incident. You might have lived close by at some point in your life, or that had been your favorite place to vacation. Whatever the reason certain incidents impact, for good or bad. And hopefully there is always some good that comes from bad. That in and of itself sounds like an oxymoron, but as I grow older and hopefully wiser, I do hope that there is good in everyone.

What people do not realize it that it is the little things in life that make the biggest difference. They 'Don'T' sweat the small stuff.', but that is exactly what can make the biggest influence sin our lives. But watching a video, or reading a book, or attending a seminar, or watching a documentary, people's lives can and will be changed.

I remember the first time I became a vegetarian. I was watching something on the television about the baby seal hunting that goes on in Canada. I sat there and cried like a baby. How can anyone sit there and bludgeon something so innocent to death. I know the answer, someone with no heart. What did that poor seal ever do to you. But I am getting off track here.

It is 10 years ago today that two boys went on a shooting rampage to make a point. What drives anyone and especially 2 teenagers to commit such a horrifying act. I cannot imagine the fear that ran through the school that day. I know how scared I can get over little things. But knowing my life may soon be over and then to only be anywhere from 15-18. I cannot comprehend that.

Didn't anyone see that these two were on a road that was going in a very wrong direction? I can see the slightest change in my children. I know when they are the least bit off from the normal. I also feel for the parents of these children they may still be questioning themselves as to why they did not see this coming. I think an answer fro many parents is that they are disconnected from their children. We don't do activities together, we don't eat at a dinner table any longer, the Norman Rockwell of thee American family is nearly unheard of. I see people hike an eyebrow when I say that we sit down every night at the dinner table and eat together. Whether it is all four of us or just two. To me, a family that dines together stays together. And TV trays in front of the television is not the same. Turn off the tube and talk to your children and then listen to them as well, they do have something to say. And inasmuch as you may not want to hear thier point of view. think back when you tried to talk to your parents and they thought your opinion was worth nothing. you may not agree with your child, hell, you don't agree with adults, but you keep them as friends. Listen to your children, it will pay off in thee end.

I leave you with a few videos of the first victim that died that tragic day. Her name is Rachel Joy Scott. She was a young girl who most more than likely had a premonition about her life. As her father says in the video, she was not obsessed with death, she was just at peace with her life. Who at that age can even wrap thier head around something like that? See what I mean? Children can teach us plenty, we just have to listen. For those of you who pray, please do so for all of those affected by this event. I will definitely keep them in my thoughts.

Rachel Joy Scott #1

Rachel Joy Scott #2

Rachel Joy Scott #3

And for those of you who prefer to read, here is a book in her memory. Rachel's Tears

1 comment:

Tara B. said...

I pray often for the parents of the young ones who lost their lives that day, as well as for the parents of those who took those lives. Nobody will ever be the same..

I did see on 20/20 or some other news show, where several of the students who survived that day went on to become teachers at THAT school! I thought that was pretty cool.