Friday, June 13, 2008

The Things We Leave Behind

When I first started blogging, I had no idea what I would write about or what kind of things I would be reading about. And as I read other blogs, I have thoughts that get sparked and memories that flood into my little brain. (No comments Towaway) Another blogger wrote about the little things, and how her father loved one thing and her son could have cared less about it. A similar thing happened to me and now I wish I had not been so quick to make the decision I did back then.

My grandmother had given me (for my bridal shower) a three ring binder and she had filled it with recipes, and tidbits of home remedies and snippets about how to keep a good home and the such. I loved it and used it and added to it, and then I got older and did not think I needed those things. I thought I was wiser and could find my own recipes and snippets in my own magazines about how to keep a house or that I really didn't need anyone telling me how to keep house. I was wrong.

My grandmother passed away in April of 1995 and I miss her to this day. She was a guiding force in my life. She was powerful and not bossy. People loved and respected her. She commanded and demanded respect...and she got it.

I was sitting at the breakfast table asking myself why had I gotten rid of those recipes she had given me, and for the life of me, I can't think of a blessed thing. I just got rid of them. Big mistake. That was something she had given me, from her, and I threw it away, as if it meant nothing to me. I am older now and realize that many-a-time...it is the little things.

2 comments:

Synia said...

With age, comes maturity. We as humans always think we know everything and don't need the wisdom of our elders(my 12 Y/O is a shining example of that! LOL). It isn't until we get on in our own age that we realize just what that wisdoms means and what it can teach us and we regret not cherishing it when we had the chance.
My grandmother gave me a cookbook (her cookbook) when I got married and at 19 Y/O I thought "what in the world am I going to do with a cookbook from the 1950's". My grandmother passed away a few years later and you have no idea how much I now cherish that book. It actually has a lot of information that the cookbooks of today don't tell you. The 1950's were such a different time and housewives then did it all, and that book explains everything from where the cuts of meat come from on the animal complete with animal graphs to how to make a great mixed drink from scratch! I am so thankful that my husband didn't allow me to throw it out 14 years ago!!

Scribbit said...

Oh I'm sorry--looking back on mistakes is hard but at least you recognize them now. That's progress and that's a good thing right? We all make so many mistakes you're in good company.