Saturday, May 17, 2008

Feeling the Pinch

Well, it has finally caught up with us. Yes, I am referring to the crunch of trying to live on one income. We are barely one step ahead of the foreclosure proceedings. I was downsized about 6 weeks ago, one hour before I was to punch the time clock. I knew the minute I saw my bosses wife's phone number that it was going to be one of two things. Either come to work early or don't bother coming in. It was the latter.

So we did what any hard-working family would do, look for another job. My husband cannot get a second job. He works for Publix Supermarket and when you are full time with them, you are theirs for life. Someone tell me how you can survive on the salary they dish out. Oh yeah that's right, you have to have a two income family. Well what about those families who want to stay home and do something new and different, like raising their children, instead of letting some daycare do it for them. Those families are the ones who are suffering.

I am lucky in the fact that my children are older and do not need to be babysat like toddlers. But my disadvantage is that my 19 year old son still does not drive. So if I don't drive him to work my in-laws will pick up the slack. But two things, they have a life of their own and they will not be here forever. So if I am to get a job...and keep it, I would need one that is flexible and willing to bend if needed. Not all employers are that willing. You are being hired to work, not work your schedule around your life, you knew the rules when you got hired, and they would be right.

I just want to find a job that pays enough to pay my bills. I am used to not having much more than what is necessary to survive on, but I would like a little cushion. The financial experts tell you that you should have 2 months of all your bills set aside for emergencies. HAH! I laugh in the face of these experts. I just want to get to the end of the month and have everything paid and food on my table, nothing more...nothing less.

Being homeschoolers and gas rounding out the $4 mark, we are not becoming literal homeschoolers. We leave the house rarely and when we do there are a few errands tacked on to each car ride. We all do what we have to do. I just want to be able to survive without the stress of wondering if the bank will be knocking on our door.

2 comments:

Fatcat said...

It seems like we are always kind of living on the edge even with me having 2 jobs (kinda). My husband was laid off from his job several years ago and we still haven't recovered from it!

Here's a place you can work from home if you have high speed internet. I haven't worked there but someone recommended it to me, so I thought I'd pass it along.
http://www.workingsol.com/home.htm

Freakmom said...

That really stinks! Hope you find work soon!! ((hugs))