Wednesday, May 21, 2008

Multi-tasking in Florida

It's official, I am an old lady. Let me explain. I have MS (Story for another post) and herniated discs in my back (another post as well). Well, I know that I need to exercise to try and keep the pain level in my back to a minimum, but you are in pain all the time, it becomes a vicious cycle. I can't exercise because my leg hurts so I don't, then it gets worse because I don't... Anyhow, a friend of mine has moved recently and had to get rid of her three wheeler bike. I told her how I would love to have one, but there was no way I could even think of buying it, when we don't even have to nickels to rub together. That was when my husband said, why don't I barter with her. My lightbulb went on.

I used to be a hairdresser and I can cut hair...duh. So I called my friend and made thee offer. She loved the idea. She thinks she is getting the better of the deals and I feel I am, so I guess we are both winners.

Well my daughter and I have been utilizing my new/old bike. She takes the pooch out on the leash while I sit my hiney on the bike. And let me tell you, that bike seat is massive. they must think that only retired broad-butted women need to ride three-wheelers. Clue in folks. Even those of us who are average sized need to exercise.

So, today I had an epiphany. As we were making our trek back to the house, I looked to my shoulder and realized I could wear my bathing suit (with shorts attached, as not to embarrass my daughter more than I already am by riding a three-wheeler) and get exercise. My daughter about had a kaniption fit. I told her that I would wear short, but why not kill as many birds with one stone as you possible can. So tomorrow, I will don my bathing suit and build a tan on the Lucille Ball white skin.

7 comments:

Freakmom said...

I need to get exercising too. It sounds like you found a great way to get moving! (And I'd take the deal of someone cutting my hair too!)

Fairly Odd Mother said...

Bartering is a great way to go about it! For some reason, my neighbors know I love 'gently used' anything, so they always check with me before they get rid of things---kids' clothes, outdoor toys, even a small freezer!

Hope the exercise is helping you manage your pain well! My thoughts are with you.

Fatcat said...

Ooh, I would love to have that bike!

Donna said...

Good For You - The bike sounds like a great way to get some excercise! I used to love bike riding but we have dirt roads here and it is almost impossible to get through them with a bike : (
That was a great idea to trade your hair cutting for the bike, I bet alot of people would like a hairdresser who makes house calls.

Skippy said...

Lets just hope you don't blind anyone with the white skin of yours. But hopefully with this new "multi-tasking" bussiness, you can actually get a nice...slight...almost tan.

fitncrafty said...

Hang in there..dont give up on the exercise. I had an water aerobics instructor that had MS. She could barely walk, a year after doing water aerobics several times a week she was teaching. Out of the wheel chair. Please talk to your doc about water aerobics and or swimming/water walking. I think your bike sounds cool. Falling is not one of favorite things. I am not so close to the ground anymore.

Synia said...

Good for you sweetie! Hope the excercise is paying off with getting your pain under control.