Saturday, May 31, 2008

Stepping Up to the Plate

My little Nana is something else. A little over two years ago I might not have thrown that compliment out as easily as I am now. In March of 2006 I was standing at my own front door and when I turned to come into my house I dislocated my knee. (I swear I will blog this story one day) Long story short I also herniated three discs in the process due to the fact that I hit tile when my knee gave way.

My children got a crash course in housework and mild cooking. My daughter learned to hate me more then. But she has come full circle. My injury has not healed itself or been healed by any means we have tried thus far. Steroid injections directly to the back...Nada. Traction...Zip. Physical Therapy...No way Jose. So I am progressively getting worse. The only method I have not ventured into is acupuncture. Do not think it is fear of needles, it is not. Insurance does not cover it and we are in debt up to our eyeballs, and mostly from things that were done to me that were deemed as a pre-existing condition (Don't even get me started. I was insured at the time of the fall and was insured constantly for over one year before any of these doctor visits took place).

But this past weekend we had a garage sale. But on Friday and Saturday. Now, for me, the more active I am the worse my injury treats me. I get in such a bad way that I become hunched over like an eighty year old lady. It looks painful...it is painful. I ice twice a day and take Aleve twice a day and when I am not busy with garage sales I roll out on my three wheeler. But the heat from the hot days in Florida and sitting so long for these two days with the garage sale, took their toll on me.

I did all the right things, but it was still too much for my body. But I still had my measly check to pick up. $100 for two weeks...Woo Hoo. Cash that check, then run to get produce then off to the grocery store. So after being up form 5:30 AM, I finally made it home by 5:30. I ran to my ice pack and let my daughter and husband unload the groceries.

As soon as that was all done, my daughter dove into action and made dinner, without even hesitating. She knew I was in a bad way and that I miss doing the things I love to do and yes, housework was one of those things. To me, there is nothing more rewarding then having my home clean to entertain in. to be able to have someone over for coffee or iced tea. But now, I struggle to maintain the home I have loved for the last 9 years. It pains me. I love my home, it is my calling card, but I am finding more and more, that I am having to rely on my children, and that bothers me. For when I was there age my mother used me to do many chores. I swore I would never make my children my personal. Yes, I now they see that I am not stuffing my face with bon bons, but I am still not happy with how things are unfolding.

I am thinking that surgery my be my only option to get some relief, and yet, the part of my back that needs the surgery is not the best place to get cut. I got this straight form my neurosurgeons mouth. Now if he says it, then I am not looking forward to getting it done. Most people with back surgery either get worse or feel no relief what-so-ever. I just want to be normal again. I am not looking to be superwoman.

But I just wanted to say that my little Moo Moo, has become a fine young little lady and started doing so much around here. OK, so I still have to be subjected to thee occasional eye roll, but oh so worth it when you have tasted her sushi roll.

No comments: