Sunday, July 26, 2009

Never Retire

Take it from a legendary like Stan Lee. N-E-V-E-R RETIRE!





I have always said if my husband ever retires, I will go back to work full time. I swear it I will. And I will tell you why. Because my husband has no hobbies to occupy his spare time. The gym does not count as a hobby. He has no outside interest to keep him busy away from me.

I see it happen all the time. One if not both person in a marriage retire and drive thee other one crazy. Why is that? Well because for the last 30-40 some odd years your life and time has been spent at work, away from said spouse. Then when you have all this time on your hand,s you have no blinking clue what to do with your self. You never took the time to find interest in something other than the TV or computer.

Pick up a local PennySaver style magazine and you will see that there are tons of groups, organizations, clubs to join or how about this...volunteer for. How can you expect to get something, anything if you don't give to your community. I love volunteering. My husband still turns his nose up at it, but I am slowly changing his mind about giving before receiving. You can't keep looking for a handout if you are not willing to first lend a hand.

There are a few adages that fit that as well. What goes around comes around. Give someone the shirt off your back. Charity begins at home. I could scour my book of idioms, but you get my drift. But sitting home and collecting dust is not my idea of going through my Golden Years. I want to keep going until I can't go any longer.

So find something that piques your interest. And surfing the web, or watching all your favorite shows on DVD does not qualify as a hobby. Get off your backsides and be active in the community. It will pay off in the end.

No comments: